Riot games the developer behind the most popular MOBA on the market is celebrating the games 10th anniversary in a big way.
League of Legends released 10 years ago and since then the game has hit record numbers captivating millions of gamers into their game for a decade now.
To celebrate the tenth anniversary Riot announced a “body slam” level announcement to Blizzard announcing 8 new projects set to release in the next few years. Some of these include a competitive card game, a new fps, a fighting game and even an animated TV series.
- Riot hinted at a fighting game by their development team, and many questioned if it would be set in the world of League.
- With these announcements they confirmed their fighting project and it is set in the same universe as League of Legends.
- Riot has now confirmed and shown a little bit of game play to another project code-named Project A which looks like a CSGO and Overwatch cross over.
- They also announced a game similar to something like Football Manager but using League pros and esports teams.
- This idea is interesting but their was not much given about it.
- Players in game are modeled after the real life counter parts and players can manage and build teams in this virtual simulator.
- A direct competitor to the Blizzard game Hearthstone was announced by Riot who is developing their own card game Legends of Runesterra similar to the Blizzard counterpart.
- This was said to be set in the League of Legends universe as well.
- They announced another project but did not give any details about other than “project that explores the possibilities of traversing the world of Runeterra with your friends.” This was labeled as Project F and many think this is Riots take on a multiplayer RPG in the same sense of Diablo games. Another punch at Blizzard?
- On top of all that they also announced an animated TV series called Arcane. There was very little about this as well but it is set in the League Universe and they said it will cover the backstories to some of the most beloved characters.
- Don’t worry there is still more. Riot announced not one, but two mobile projects coming along.
- Both coming in 2020, you will be able to play Team fight tactics and League of Legends on your phone.
- League of Legends will have a new name “Wild Rift” but basically be the same game with the only differences being slightly shorter games and a few less cosmetics.
- Sadly they said that progress on PC version does not carry over at this moment.
With these announcements they talked about a few updates coming to League of Legends on PC as well along with the PC version of Team fight tactics. You can find more about the League update here.
Riot sounds like they are hitting the ground running with a ton of content coming from the popular development team. Blizzard has been on the struggle bus lately and it seems like Riot is capitalizing on that fact heavily. Could this be the takeover? Blizzard is definitely on its heels after all these announcements from Riot.
What do you guys think about these announcements? Are you excited for all this new stuff coming from Riot. Let us know in the comments below.
I have never been a big MOBA or League player but have played a little bit and I can say I am pretty excited to see where this goes and I definitely want to at least try all their games.